Wednesday, October 25, 2006

My Little Phony


Lately I’ve been going through a phase of “nothing is how it seems.” I’m misunderstood more often than not. I’m like a dark gray My Little Pony, an “ironic” knock-off with a skull and crossbones on its butt (quirky and sweet, yet mysterious and a little badass). Perhaps these misunderstandings are why The Illusionist resonated with me so deeply the other night – it was so reaffirming to see that the illusion, the misunderstanding, worked out in a way that was meant to be; not in the train-wreck that seems to be my life as of late.

Or perhaps that was just Edward Norton resonating with me.

Whatever. There was a message, and I got it. The message was that there is hope.

Even though I’m still single. Dammit.

6 Comments:

Blogger maxsparber said...

Watch out for The Prestige. That one's a doozy.

7:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You've got it all wrong, Petra. There is hope BECAUSE you are single...

4:05 PM  
Blogger Leigha said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:34 AM  
Blogger Leigha said...

I will watch The Prestige.

I will hope BECAUSE I am single. And in spite of it. (sorry - just couldn't let that go. YOU try still being single at this age. It blows.)

I am to do a great many things.

12:36 AM  
Blogger Leigha said...

Okay - so I saw The Prestige last night (alone). It was dark, and not in the good way.

I'm often thrilled by the tantalizingly dark genre of movies (Tim Burton's offerings, Moulin Rouge, Spider Man 2, the X-Men series all come to mind), but The Prestige was like the seedy-underbelly of tantalizingly dark. It was the wicked step-brother of tantalizingly dark.

It was gross and ultimately had no redeeming characters. And I hate that. I always want to find the good in people, and here there was no good to be found.

7:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Petra:

If you want to stop being single, one of the first things you could do is make sure your altar offerings are not visible to any overnight guests... notwithstanding your good intentions...

Another thing would be to embrace your singleness... in my experience, every time we get very attached to something/one... Life takes it away...

3:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home